People who have numerous properties and family members can benefit the services of probate lawyers. They are also called estate or trust lawyers who can assist the surviving members of the family to settle the debts and obligations of the deceased and distribute the assets to the family members regardless of a will or not.
The responsibilities of probate lawyers in Melbourne include helping their clients manage their financial status before they leave the world, administering the estate of the clients based on the written will or living trust, and ensuring the property and health care requests of the clients are honoured.
Not all can become probate lawyers in Melbourne who handle properties of their clients. They must possess interest skills related to the job and inherent ability to do the right thing.
The following attributes must be present:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to analyse, understand, and use relevant information logically
- Integrity of character
- Ability to work in a composed manner under pressure and attend to the needs of different clients.
Education and Training
To qualify as a probate lawyer, you must pursue a law degree in a reputable and certified academe in Australia. Before this level, you must have a high school or secondary certificate. Most universities in Australia have varied prerequisites and entry demands. It is suggested that you contact your school of choice and inquire about the requirements including the grades needed to enrol in the course.
Tasks and Duties
- As a good probate lawyer, it is your responsibility to contest a will that is vague, talk to clients to check the extent and nature of the problem, and recommend the most appropriate legal solution based on the law.
- Actively represent on behalf of your clients.
- Conduct investigations and be well-prepared in court, prepare your witnesses and their attendance, and provide early notices and advisories.
- Prepare wills for your clients.
- Perform executor duties of your client’s wills.
- Act as trustee to your clients.
Being a probate lawyer requires good skills and traits to be able to serve your client’s demands and deliver your duties efficiently. Always be ready in all aspects of your job to meet the expectations of your clients.