Roof protects the house from the elements of nature, bugs and other intruders. However, it is also important to protect the roof from damage. Homeowners should conduct a thorough examination of the roof at least twice in a year. Here are some easy roof maintenance guidelines for homeowners.
- Inspect the roof of your house before you take the final possession. It is recommended to get help from an expert in roof tiling and roof repairs in Sydney Company to identify any issues with the roofing of the house. Inspecting the roof beforehand helps you to identify potential problems and avoid costly repairs.
- Trim any trees that are too close to the roof. The leaning branches can scratch and chip the roof shingles.
- Leaves and other debris can clog the gutter system. This may lead to water clogging in the attic and other areas, which may lead to damage of the property. Clean the roof regularly, inspect the drainage system and if there are any sagging gutters or damaged drains, get them repaired immediately.
- The roof should have proper ventilation to allow the materials to breathe. Lack of ventilation leads to the build-up of heat and moisture which weakens the roof.
- It is recommended to insulate the roofing to increase its durability and functionality. Insulating the roof also helps to keep the house cool in summers which reduces the energy costs. Use a vapour retarder along with the insulation to prevent moisture from raising into the attic.
- After a storm, check the roof diligently. Check the attic for water stains or weak shingles.
- Pay close attention to the colour of your roof. Check the part of your roof, which remains in shade for most part of the day. This area is more prone to become streaked with the growth of mold, algae and fungus. If it is not treated in a timely manner, streaked roof can cause the roof to weaken which leads to costly repairs.
- While doing the roof inspection, pay close attention to the shingles. Roof is exposed to a lot of wear and tear. The shingles get damaged due to exposure to hail storms and other elements of nature. Damaged shingles might lead to water seepage and damage the interiors of a home. Consult an experienced roof repairs in Sydney expert, to get the damaged shingles replaced.