After the deceased is cremated, the family would have to collect the ashes so for them to carry out what they intend to do with it. At this point, the family would need one of those adult cremation urns to hold the ashes of their loved one. To get the right urn, here are some ideas to consider when shopping.
- Consider the size of the urn. You can ask the funeral home or crematorium for ideas if you are not sure which size you are going to purchase.The average remains of an adult usually weighs 3 to 7 pounds. This would require a 180-220 cubic inch urn to hold the remains safely. If you intend to keep the urn in a mausoleum or columbarium, inquire from the cemetery personnel for the acceptable size of urn.
- Think about the design.Cremation urns come in numerous designs, sizes, colors and materials. When shopping for an urn, consider what you intend to do with the ashes. There are urns that are suitable for burying such as the biodegradable ones while there are those suited to be place in a columbarium such as the bronze urns. If you intend to keep the urn inside your house, consider picking an urn with elegant design or those made of porcelain or ceramic.
- Choose the right style. There are cremation urns that are suited for couples. They are called companion urns. There are also urns that are designed for infants or small children. You can also find adult cremation urns with designs that fit the personality or hobby of the deceased. Search online to find various designs of cremation urns.
- Token urns. There are those who opt to scatter the ashes in particular spots but keeps some remains in small container called token urns. Choose token urns with reliable quality to safekeep the ashes properly.
- Consider where you are going to place it. There are adult cremation urns that can be placed outside such as in a columbarium while there are those that are designed to be buried. When burying an urn, avoid using brass or the non-biodegradable types.