Most of the freight crossing the common borders of the US and Canada are carried by trucks. Truck drivers who are driving the US-Canada route must know more than the rules of the roads. Both countries have their unique trucking regulations and failure to follow the rules can be costly.
Rules of trucking – Canada and the US
- It is important to do a final check before securing the payload. Before heading to the destination across the border, you must know how many hours you are legally allowed to stay behind the wheel. In the US, drivers are required to work no more than 11 hours after 10 hours off. Canada allows 13 hours of driving every day after 8 hours off. Accurate logs on the number of hours spent behind the wheel must be kept.
- In the US, truck drivers have to take a break after driving for 14 straight hours. In Canada, truck drivers are not allowed to drive after a 14-hour shift following an 8-hour off.
- US regulations entitle truck drivers to 10 consecutive hours off. When working, drivers are entitled to a half-hour break after an 8-hour work shift. In Canada, drivers are entitled to an 8-hour off before working 10 hours a day.
- US regulations do not allow truck drivers to drive after completing a 14-hour straight shift. In Canada, drivers are not allowed to drive after completing a 16-hour straight shift. Canada has more flexible shift lengths than the US.
- US regulations allow duty cycles of 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days. Canadian regulations allow 70 hours in 7 days and 120 hours in 14 days.
- Truck drivers must keep logs that contain grid, total miles driven, date, vehicle number, starting time, carrier name, shipping document number, shipper’s name, and many more. In Canada, the same information is required except the shipping number and the shipper’s name.
The good thing with Titan Transline is it stays ahead of the latest regulations and requirements on trucking across the border. The 3PL provider has dozens of terminals in North America with a team of industry experts that will ensure world-class service and reliability.