Spring break is just a few weeks away and many people are finalizing their vacation plans. Better Business Bureau (BBB) advises consumers to do research before booking for a vacation whether the destination is a ski slope or the beach. While it is more efficient to book with a travel agency, it is important to choose the right one so that the vacation will not turn into a nightmare.
In 2016, more than 9,000 complaints against travel agencies, online booking providers and ticket websites have been received by BBB and other consumer-protection bureaus nationwide. Most of the complaints came from consumers who were misled by travel offers. In some instances, consumers have paid for the travel arrangements but the holiday did not push through as promised by the travel agency.
BBB offers the following useful tips to people who are planning their vacation through travel agencies.
- Make sure that everything is in writing from travel itineraries to booking confirmations. Have copies of cancellations and refund policies.
- Do not sign without reading the contract carefully particularly those written in fine print. There are several instances of hidden fees or clauses that allow the agency to change the airport you are flying to without advance notice.
- Do not just rely on the word of the agent but make the effort to confirm all details. Make sure to get the contact details of the airline, the car rental provider and the sleeping accommodations.
- If you pay with a credit card, it will allow you to dispute any fraudulent transactions.
- A better option is to go direct to the website of the airline and book for your flight. The same goes for hotel accommodations to avoid being a victim of a scam. If you book direct from their website, you might even enjoy some discounts. There are also resorts that offer all-inclusive packages.
You can book direct to Phuket 5 star resort and spa for a relaxing experience in Thailand. Solo travellers, couples and families can indulge in the celebrated spa or spend time in the fitness centre, swimming pools, gaming rooms or simply explore the island of Phuket.